Deviated Septum Before And After
Deviated septum – is one of the most common diseases of the nasal cavity. According to statistics, deviated nasal septum is relatively rare in young children, most often this disease affects nearly half of all adults, and more often deviated septum occurs in men than in women.
A baby has a flat and straight septum of the nose. Almost all of it is made up of cartilage tissue, which has islands of ossification. Over time, the nasal septum is transformed into bone, and the bones grow together. With the growth of the person and the violation of certain processes in the body, nasal septum begins to curve.
The nasal septum has an important function in our nose, providing a uniform distribution of air flow between the right and left lobes of the nose. With the help of the nasal septum is achieved harmonious fulfillment of the following conditions: warm, cleansing, moisturizing. At deviated nasal septum, these functions are being violated.
Causes of deviated nasal septum
– uneven growth of the skull bones, which leads to the fact that the size of the nasal cavity is also changed, the nasal septum getting crowded in the nasal cavity, and it has to be bent;
– traumatic causes (most of them are typical for boys and men) as a result of a strong kick, is shifted the nasal bone, nasal septum deformity and abnormal fusion of bones,
– which leads to a curvature of the nasal septum;
– the presence of polyps and tumors of the nasal mucosa, which leads to respiratory failure of one of the nostrils, and then to the curvature of the nasal septum;
– hypertrophy (uneven development of a nasal shells), putting pressure on the nasal septum.
The curvature of the nasal septum. Symptoms.
The curvature of the nasal septum may have the following symptoms:
- Asymmetrical shape of the nose (especially when a curvature of the nasal septum as a result of injury);
- constant chronic runny nose (violated nasal breathing, mucous discharge from the nose);
- reflex headaches arising from the constant touch of the nasal mucosa to a deviated septum;
- loud snoring at night;
- nosebleeds that occur due to the thinning of the mucosa near deviated nasal septum;
- decreased performance, increased fatigue of the body due to the reduced supply of oxygen in the blood;
- discomfort during nasal breathing;
- frequent acute respiratory infections with cough, sneezing, runny nose, fever;
- scratchy and sore throat, cough;
- hearing loss as a result of inflammation in the ear;
- decrease in olfactory abilities;
- absent-mindedness, memory impairment.
Types of curvature of the nasal septum
The vast majority of adults have small curvature of the nasal septum. But they do not interfere to proper airflow through the nostrils and correct breathing.
There are known the following types of deviated nasal septum:
- a deviated septum of the nose;
- a combination of different types of curvature.
Most commonly, people have a curvature of the nasal septum in the front. Less common they have deformation of the back of the nasal septum.
The nose is very necessary organ that performs several important tasks. Our nose warms and humidifies inhaled air, holds dust particles brought by air, neutralizes the bacteria that enter from outside. In addition, thanks to the olfactory region of the nose we perceive and differentiate the various smells.
Diagnosis of nasal septum
To find out if you need an operation on the nasal septum, must pass a comprehensive diagnosis. Diagnosis includes an external inspection of ENT, rhinoscopy, the use of additional laboratory tests and analyzes.
Visual inspection of the doctor-otolaryngologist allows to determine appearance of the nose. In addition, the physician evaluates nasal breathing. He brings wool separately to each nostril, explores the oscillation villi during inhalation and exhalation.
Evaluation of the human sense of smell is also produced for each nostril separately. The patient should blindly identify the smell on cotton wool. If there is a deviation of the nasal septum, the sense of smell is usually reduced. Thanks to rhinoscopy the examination of the nasal cavity is achieved by means of special tools. In its examination the doctor can use the front and rear rhinoscopy.
Anterior rhinoscopy is used in order to better examine the nasal cavity, and neoplasms, available out there. This is done using the nasal dilator and a special probe. By front rhinoscopy can be seen nasal polyps, hematomas, abscesses and tumors in the nasal cavity.
The rear rhinoscopy is inspection of the nasopharynx and nasal cavity from the mouth. It is carried out with a spatula and a special mirror.
You can also view our gallery of photos (deviated septum before and after). In the images you can see what deviated septum disadvantages were in patients who have undergone rhinoplasty.
Why do you need nasal septum surgery
Indications for surgery to correct the nasal septum may include the following:
- external cosmetic defect;
- labored breathing by nose;
- rhinitis in the chronic form;
- inflammation of the middle ear (otitis media), resulting from the curvature of the nasal septum;
- persistent headache;
- sinusitis, ethmoiditis appearing due to the curved nasal septum.
Nasal septum deviation treatment
Do I need surgery for deviated nasal septum? If you are greatly concerned about the consequences, it is better to decide on the operation.
In our clinic is possible to conduct low-impact correction of the nasal septum with the use of various modern techniques.
Surgical treatment, such as laser surgery for curvature of the nasal septum, is aimed at the normalization of nasal breathing, restoring the anatomy of the nasal cavity. In our clinic performed septoplasty operation that consists in partial removal of the deformed cartilage, and if necessary, the bony part of septum.
Correction of the nasal septum with the help of surgery allows you to make alignment and thinning of curved cartilage, i.e. modification. Modified cartilage becomes flexible and pliable, allowing the surgeon to set it back in place and to achieve straightening of the nasal septum.
When the local deviation of the nasal septum (bump) is possible to conduct minimally invasive endoscopic septoplasty. Laser operation to straighten the nasal septum is also considered one of the sparing techniques.
In cases when patient has a deviated septum and he or she complains of external deformation of the nose, rhinoplasty is possible.