Rhinoplasty (nose job, nose shape correction) is the oldest of all aesthetic operations. The history of rhinoplasty has more than 3000 years, and the correction of the nose and the restoration of its function is one of the most complex operations in plastic surgery.
In addition to its aesthetic function, the nose is the beginning of the respiratory system. Passing through nasal passages the air is heated, humidified, cleaned and disinfected. In addition, the nose contributes not only to air filtration, but also participates in the process of olfaction, air purification of sinuses, and plays an important role in the functioning of the lacrimal system.
Rhinoplasty is aimed at changing or correction of external shape of the nose, as well as its internal elements, which is important not only in the process of respiration. Rhinoplasty, as well as other aesthetic surgeries can significantly improve the appearance.
Before a patient decides to undergo surgery, it is necessary to carefully consider the wishes and the expected effect, discuss this with your surgeon. If the patient is physically healthy, psychologically stable and realistic in his expectations, it will be happy with the outcome of surgery.
There are certain limitations associated with the individual anatomical features. Much depends on the type and condition of the skin, as well as the features of the process of scarring. At the first consultation, the surgeon explains to the patient what options can change the shape of the nose in his case.
It is necessary to take into account the age when planning surgery. The most favorable for a rhinoplasty is between the ages of 18-25 years, since before the age of 18 is still ongoing natural (physiological) formation of bone and cartilage skeleton of the nose.
However, age does not matter in the case of elimination of defects and deformations arising from the injury or due to the “time”. Here we try to answer all frequently asked questions about rhinoplasty.
Patients often want to ask a plastic surgeon about this or that aspect of rhinoplasty. But it so happens that there is no time to ask the surgeon. Then our site comes to the rescue and a small selection of the most popular questions and answers about rhinoplasty.
Would you like to ask the surgeon? Learn something about rhinoplasty? Especially for you Questions and Answers section of the plastic surgeon! Answers to the most frequently asked questions!
What is Rhinoplasty?
Rhinoplasty – is a plastic surgery that is performed to change the size and shape of the nose. Rhinoplasty or plastic nose – is a surgical operation that can improve the function of the nose and its appearance. Rhinoplasty can reduce or increase the overall size of the nose, remove a small hump, change the degree of the angle between the upper lip and nose, change the shape of the tip of the nose, narrow the gap between the nostrils, reduce themselves nostrils. Also, the plastic surgeon can perform septoplasty – an operation aimed at eliminating the breathing problems.
Who can undergo a rhinoplasty?
Rhinoplasty can be done for physically healthy men and women who have reached the age of majority. Doctors often refuse to carry out surgery for very young patients, since it is necessary to wait until the growth of the nose. For juvenile patients require parental consent. Practice shows that adult patients relate to rhinoplasty more consciously.
Is there any age limit for rhinoplasty?
Plastic surgery is desirable to conduct after coming of age. But rhinoplasty can be done in 16 years only with parental permission.
When I can see the final result of the surgery?
You can see the final results of surgery about a year later. Edema will stay all this time. But it will not be very pronounced and usually not noticeable to others. But immediately after the surgery you can see a different nose. It is necessary to be prepared for the fact that in addition to swelling on the nose, redness will stay, color of skin will change. The main swelling will leave within the first few weeks after surgery, the rest of swelling and redness will leave after a couple of months. During the rest of the time will leave the remaining swellings, which are imperceptible to others.
Is rhinoplasty painful?
Impossible to say that rhinoplasty brings a lot of pain. Rather, it is the discomfort associated with tampons, gypsum. Tampons are often removed on the next day after surgery. Their removal also brings no pain, just discomfort. Rhinoplasty is a surgical procedure, so some discomfort experienced by almost all customers. You can eliminate the unpleasant and pain sensations with the help of painkillers.
How long is the procedure of rhinoplasty?
Usually the surgery lasts from 1 to 2 hours.
What is the turundas?
This special cotton swabs, which the surgeon inserts into the nasal passages to prevent bleeding. Another function of these pads is to maintain the nasal septum after surgery. They are removed in a day or two after surgery. Also you have to breathe through the mouth while swabs is located in the nose.
Where is typically conducted rhinoplasty?
Most often rhinoplasty is performed in hospitals, cosmetic clinic.
Does nose become more vulnerable after rhinoplasty?
The nose after rhinoplasty must be cared. And not because it has become weak, but because the fracture or other injury may require a second surgery, which of course, would not be beneficial to the human body and in any way adversely affect the appearance of the nose.
How is made rhinoplasty?
There are two kinds of such surgery – open and closed rhinoplasty.
Once the incisions are made, the skin is separated and given desirable form of nose. And already on new frame placed skin and incisions are closed.
What to do if the result of rhinoplasty is not satisfied?
First, do not rush to conclusions. If hasn’t passed a year after the first rhinoplasty, you can not do a second operation. After about 8-9 months, you should contact the surgeon who performed the first operation.
It is possible that required re-correction. But there are cases where the patient simply can not get used to his new view in the mirror.
Are there any complications in rhinoplasty?
In fact the rhinoplasty surgery is quite safe. Still, any surgery carries a risk of complications. These include: bleeding, reaction to anesthesia, numbness of individual sections of the skin, blood vessels ruptures, as well as asymmetry.
Is scars remain after rhinoplasty?
If rhinoplasty is performed by the closed method, then there are no scars. If it is an open rhinoplasty, the surgeon makes a small incision in the columella, where the scar later will be located . But do not worry. This scar subsequently becomes completely invisible. Of course, surgical incisions always turn into the scars, but with closed rhinoplasty they are limited inside of the nose and quite invisible. With open rhinoplasty scar is hardly noticeable, and eventually disappears.
What anesthesia is used for rhinoplasty?
Most often rhinoplasty is performed under general anesthesia. While it is possible to carry out under local anesthesia. But plastic surgeons prefer general anesthesia, as in this case, the patient does not distract the doctor and does not experience stress. Rhinoplasty is performed under general anesthesia or under local anesthesia with a combination of sedatives.
How long does the patient can not go to work?
Most often after a couple of weeks you can safely proceed to your work. If all goes well, the patient may begin to carry out their duties in a two of weeks after surgery.
Will a rhinoplasty be covered by insurance?
No. Insurance does not extends on those procedures which have only cosmetic character.
Do bruises appear after rhinoplasty?
Yes, bruising around the eyes appear immediately after surgery. But individually. The degree of bruising depends on the complexity of surgery and the individual characteristics of the organism. Usually hematoma coming off in 1-2 weeks.
When the plaster is removed?
Each surgeon operates on its own, but usually plaster removed after 7-10 days after surgery.
Is nose growing after rhinoplasty?
Of course, the nose does not grow in an adult human. For this reason, it is desirable to do surgery after 18 years when is already ended the period of growth.
How long keeps swelling?
The swelling lasts about six months. But this swelling is not noticeable for people around. The main swelling goes away much earlier.
At what time of year is possible to do rhinoplasty?
Rhinoplasty can be done at any time of the year. The success of the surgery depends on the plastic surgeon, not the weather outside.
What the patient can expect from a first consultation?
During the consultation the doctor carefully listen all the wishes of the patient, hold preoperative evaluation of the nose, the overall balance of the face. Some doctors do computer simulation, and you can see how nose will look like approximately after surgery.
Can I get behind the wheel immediately after rhinoplasty?
No. After all is much better if someone takes you. You do not have to drive after the surgery.
How long does it take recovery after rhinoplasty?
Discomfort and pain in the nose can be observed within a few days after the operation, so the doctor appoints painkillers. Besides, antibiotics or other drugs can be administered. Stitches and plaster cast removed after a week after surgery. Bruises remaining after removal of plaster disappear about 10 – th day after surgery.
The swelling lasts for quite a long time. Before the complete disappearance may take several months.
Can I play sports after rhinoplasty?
You can resume training, sports activities after three weeks after rhinoplasty.
What are the risks or complications associated with rhinoplasty?
As with any surgery, rhinoplasty may lead to some complications. The first is an adverse reaction to anesthesia, infection, rupture of the vessel. Also, the risks include the fact that it is not always possible to achieve full results from the first surgery, is sometimes necessary re-intervention.
What drugs impossible to use before rhinoplasty?
Be sure to ask the surgeon’s list of drugs contraindicated before surgery.
Is it possible when performing rhinoplasty facilitate nasal breathing?
Often, patients who wish make rhinoplasty suffer from violation of nasal breathing. They want restore the correct shape of the nose, correct septum, increase the size of the turbinates. If the operation is aimed only at eliminating the breathing problems, it is held by the surgeon audiologist.
Last answered rhinoplasty questions:
- Is Rhinoplasty Safe? How safe is rhinoplasty? One of the most popular operations in our clinic is a rhinoplasty (nose surgery). It is absolutely safe procedure through the use of the most modern medical advances. Before rhinoplasty patient...read more
- How To Get A Free Nose Job? Free plastic surgery of nose is real! Unfortunately, not everyone can afford to have cosmetic surgery for nose. The reason is a elementary no money. Meanwhile, many people are dissatisfied with their appearance (congenital defects,...read more
- Does A Nose Job Hurt? There are many opinions on this matter: some people can endure discomfort and pain for the sake of the future beauty, for other very heavy to put up with discomfort, swelling and bruising. Many people are...read more
- How to fix a crooked nose with help of rhinoplasty surgery? Crooked nose There appears to be a nasal bone fracture with the upper lateral cartilages twisted as well. To straighten this nose , a rhinoplasty with osteotomies, and a spreader graft to concave side will...read more
- How old can you be to get a nose job? I am 53 years old – is it too late to have rhinoplastic surgery done? You are an excellent candidate for a rhinoplasty because just by looking at your photos any experienced plastic surgeon can...read more
- How To Get A Refined Nose? Rhinoplasty would be able to tuck up the columella and refine the nasal tip along the lines of what you are seeking. (Francis R. Palmer, III, MD, Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon) You are already...read more
- How to get rid of nose bump without surgery? Can I Get Rid of Nose Hump Without a Surgery? No, there’s no non-surgical way to remove the bone and cartilage causing the nasal hump. You can however, inject above the hump with fillers like Radiesse...read more
- Do I Need a Nose Job? Tip Nose Job Options Your best answer will depend upon a surgeon analyzing your nose from a 180 degree perspective. Nose Job is a sculptural operation and very dynamic in that the upper an lower parts...read more
- How to reduce swelling after rhinoplasty? Swelling after a rhinoplasty can last for several weeks so it’s completely normal that you are not seeing the final results of your procedure yet. I would recommend trying to stay patient and allow yourself to...read more
- Nose Job To Correct Upturned Nose There are a number of different techniques to fix an upturned nose. It would be very difficult to describe exactly how the different procedures are done, but I use an open rhinoplasty approach to allow...read more
- How long is rhinoplasty surgery? A nose job or rhinoplasty permanent changes the structure of your nose. These changes in most cases do not need additional surgery. However, just as your face and body change over time, so will your...read more
- Rhinoplasty With Local Sedation Rhinoplasty under local is less comfortable Some smaller rhinoplasty procedures can be under local anesthesia but as the procedure gets more involved and takes a little longer, you will be more comfortable with a nice...read more
- How to straighten a crooked nose? There may be many reasons for this condition including uneveness of the facial bones with realtive overgrowth or undergrowth on one side or the other. Improvements can be achieved with rhinoplasty but a perfectly straight...read more
- Does Closed Rhinoplasty Heal Faster Than Open Rhinoplasty? Dorsum straightening can be done closed Working on the dorsum alone will give you a much better shape to your nose. This can be done through a closed approach with incisions only inside the nostrils. If...read more
- How long is recovery after rhinoplasty? Activity levels after Rhinoplasty This depends on the procedures that are performed during the Rhinoplasty and the tissues that are modified. For example, if the nasal tip is improved during the Rhinoplasty surgery, without adjustment...read more